Posted by on 03 August 2016 04:11 PM
Reverse DNS is separate from the standard DNS for a domain name, and as such is a different service. Our rate for the service is currently $25/yr per net block (range of IP addresses).
For us to provide a reverse lookup, our name servers need to have a delegation for the net-block (CDIR) in which that IP address resides. In most cases connectivity providers will not delegate blocks of their IP addresses to third party name servers, so you will need to contact your upstream connectivity provider to set up the reverse lookup.
Please note that if the connectivity provider is willing to delegate the net-block (CDIR) to easyDNS name servers, we would need to know the following:
Delegation to our name servers need to be given propagation time. We also have no control over what connectivity providers do or any delays in delegating.
Before setting up reverse DNS with us, you will need to inquire with your ISP that they are willing to delegate control over the netblock they have assigned you to easyDNS. In addition, ask your ISP if they can provide you with a PTR record for your IP addresses, or, if not, if they will be able to delegate to easyDNS. Once you have this confirmed, you will need them to provide you with the netblock itself.
We require that your netblock be in what is called CIDR notation. This will be a numeric representation of the range with consists of the starting IP and then the class of block-sizes to determine the ending IP of the range.
For example, if your ISP has provided you with a range of 32 IP addresses that begin at 18.104.22.168, then this is called a /27 range, and the CIDR notation for it would be 192.168.2.0/27
Adding Your Netblock
Once you have your netblock in hand, please do the following:
1. Log into your easyDNS account
3. In the ADD A REVERSE NET BLOCK section, enter your ARPA ZONE *OR* your CIDR BLOCK
4. Choose your Reverse DNS service and click on NEXT
5. Choose your service period and click on NEXT
6. Review your purchase and click on CHECKOUT
7. Choose your method of payment and pay the invoice
When the invoice has been paid, the zone will become active on our system. Once you configure it, your ISP can then delegate the block to us.
Delegation Methods (Info For Your ISP)
When the reverse block is added, our system will automatically detect the current delegation method your ISP has selected, and advise you as to what you need them to do.
To access this information please do the following:
1. Click on the MANAGE link for your Reverse DNS block (this will bring you to the DOMAIN ADMINISTRATION page)
2. Click on the DNS SETTINGS tab
4. Follow instructions on screen
If your ISP is at all uncertain about how to do this, please ask them to see the documentation HERE.
NOTE: If your upstream provider has changed the way they have delegated your net block to you, you can update that information through the CHANGE link (beside the GET INFO link mentioned above).
Setting Up Your PTR Records
Once the netblock has been added and the invoice paid, you can configure PTR records by doing the following:
1. Click on DNS for your Reverse DNS block (this will bring you to the DNS SETTNGS page)
2. Click on the MODULAR EDITOR tab
4. Under ARPA ADDRESS enter the final octet of the address you want the record for
7. Confirm your changes